Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

American Biscuits

(original post in Greek http://my-kitchen-diary.blogspot.com/2013/01/american-biscuits.html)

Dear diary,

today I officially start blogging in english, in an attempt to transfer my current recipes in greek -all available at http://my-kitchen-diary.blogspot.com- here, in my kitchen diary in english!

Truth is, I felt so bored to start this as a project... But my sister Ioanna suggested translating some of the existing greek posts by herself (I promise there was no pressure!). So she pushed me for this, she started to translate the About page, then I picked the new address (just extending the current one by "en" for english), and here we go!

Ioanna turned me down when I asked her to join me in this blog. She only wants to be the credited translator, not a cook. Well she is a cook, but she doesn't want to blog.
So since it's still just me in here I ought to make the first post. Translate it and all!
(Ioanna's posts will be much better than mine - you'll see a huge difference!)


American biscuits are the equivalent of British scones.
They are made of flour, baking powder, butter, buttermilk, eggs.
But one can add anything they like to make them sweet (sugar, cinnamon, chocolate drops, fruits, raisins), or savory (ham, cheese, bacon, chives, onions...).

I preferred not to add any extra ingredients.


I tasted the first one, and for the second one I opened it and filled it with mum's homemade strawberry marmelade...

This is how we started our day!


Ingredients (7 biscuits)

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup cold butter in cubes
3/4 cup greek yogurt (I used fage 0%)
1 egg

topping
1 egg
2 tbsp milk

  1. We whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. We add the butter into the mixture and work it into crumbs with our hands.
  2. We add the egg and the yogurt and make a sticky and moist dough.
  3. On a floured surface we roll out the dough into ~2 cm  thickness. 
  4. With a round cookie cutter (or a glass) we cut out the biscuits, and place them on baking sheet.
  5. We brush the tops with the beaten egg and milk mixture.
  6. We bake the biscuits for 15-20 minutes at 370F until the tops are golden brown.
We serve warm, with butter or marmelade, nutella, fresh fruits...

Enjoy!

Yours,
Jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...