Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Chalkboard Frame (DIY)



Dear diary,

remember the pizzas menu earlier in February? Well, it's about time I tell you how I made this beautiful chalkboard frame.

I have step-by-step images below showing how I made it, but most importantly here are the 3 things you need to buy to make such a nice piece for your wall, your kitchen, your entrance, or even for a gift to a friend who will appreciate your talent!

You'll need:

  1. A photo frame. It can be wooden, plastic or metallic. Cheap or expensive. Looking vintage or shiny. Small or large. You choose based on your space and your taste!
  2. A Chalkboard Contact Paper like the one I got from Amazon for only ~7$. I still have almost all of it even though I have made 3 chalkboard frames already!
  3. Chalks! I chose a NeoChalk Liquid Chalk Marker Chisel Tip - White, also from Amazon, because of its good reviews. I also tried to write with regular chalk but I wasn't very satisfied...
I preferred the chalkboard paper than a spray, mainly because I don't like sprays (I think they're not "green"). Plus I don't have an outdoor space where I could use to spray my surface and I would definitely not do it home and cause a mess!


So, let's take one step at a time, shall we?

Step 1: Buy a frame.


Step 2: Remove the glass part of a frame.


Step 3: Cut a piece from the chalkboard paper, big enough to leave 2cm spare from each side of the glass.





Step 4: Apply the paper on the glass. Fold in the papers in the corners as shown below.


Step 5: Use your fingers to guide potential bubbles trapped between the paper and the glass towards the sides. It's very easy to remove the bubbles.


Step 6: Put the glass back in the frame. Your brand new chalkboard is ready! And you made it by yourself!


Step 7: It's very easy to remove your liquid chalk writing. Just use slightly moist kitchen paper.



Remember I only used:
  1. Chalkboard Contact Paper
  2. NeoChalk Liquid Chalk Marker Chisel Tip - White
  3. Frames of my choice.

For those of you in Europe, I searched for these products on amazon.co.uk and didn't find them.


Now my boards are ready to hold my homemade menus, welcoming messages in the entrance hall, my favorite quotes and sweet words to each other :)

Hope you enjoyed this tiny tutorial on my first DIY (which I'm very proud of I must say!)

Till later!

Yours,
Jennoula

ps. Καλημέρα (kalimera) is greek for "good morning"! Have a good one!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...