Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Roasted Bosc Pears and Caramelized Rum Walnuts


Dear diary,

I only consider desserts the ones with chocolate. My bad, I know, but I cant help it. 
I adore chocolate. 
I like fruit tarts and cheesecakes and other desserts too, but the ones with chocolate are at the top of my list! (Actually whose isn't?)

So I consider it a challenge to prepare a dessert without chocolate, but be tasteful and a nice change of taste after a 3-course meal... (I'll give you more info in this 3-meal in another post).

I found this recipe on the Gourmet magazine, the holiday edition. I bought it in late October, at the airport on my way to Raleigh, North Carolina to get inspired about the upcoming Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's dinners. 

And I did! And I loved the recipes!

Once I saw the picture I immediately folded the page with the "Roasted Pears with Almond Crunch" recipe. I said I have to try it sometime because it looked delicious.


After some months, the time had come to reopen the magazine and get inspired...

I got the Bosc pears from the supermarket, some walnuts from my pantry (I run out of almonds), a bottle of Caribbean rum, sugar, and butter from the fridge...

Here goes my version:

Roasted Bosc Pears and Caramelized Rum Walnuts (Recipe for 4)
  • 2 large Bosc pears, cut in half (Bosc pears are suggested because of their longer shape)
  • 1 stick of butter (~120gr)
  • 1/3 cup walnuts
  • 1 cup rum
  • 1 cup white sugar
  1. Cut pears in half lengthwise. Core the pears with the help of a melon-ball cutter.
  2. Spread half the butter (in pieces) on bottom of a small round pan and sprinkle with half the sugar.
  3. Arrange pears on top of sugar, cut sides down, and add the walnuts.
  4. Pour half the cup of rum in the pan and Sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
  5. Roast pears for 15 minutes at 355F (180C). Turn them over, cut side up, add remaining rum and butter and roast them until tender, around 15 minutes more.


Serve pears warm, topped with walnuts, and do not forget to drizzle with pan juices! The pan juices have all the taste, the caramelized pear flavors with the earth taste of walnuts and sweet smell of rum.



Half a pear is a decent portion, but if you feel like it you can serve 1 whole pear per person.

Honestly, I did not expect to get so enthusiastic about roasted pears!
I find it a great alternative to a fatty dessert and a perfect ending of a 3-course meal.
Highly recommend it!



Again, here's the Gourmet magazine, holiday edition 2012 I was telling you about. It contains awesome  fall-winter holiday recipes and full meals that will totally inspire you!


Yours,
Jennoula




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...