Pages

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Banana foster french toast





Dear diary,

it is one of those Saturday mornings that I really crave for a good breakfast treat.
I wake up, search my pantry and take out anything that can inspire me.

I spot the rum bottle, and the bananas.

I remember the banana foster southern dessert I first tasted in Pittsburgh a couple of years ago...

That's it... A banana-foster inspired breakfast....


Ingredients (serves 2)



  • 4 slices of toast bread
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1/3 cup of rum
  • 1 Tbsp of butter
  • 1 large banana cut into slices
  • white sugar to cover the bananas
  • heavy cream
  • vanilla extract
  • powder sugar
  • You will need a small torch (the one used to make Crème brûlée)




  1. Whisk together the eggs, milk and rum.
  2. Dip each slice of bread into the mixture, and allow to soak for 10 seconds on each side.
  3. Melt the butter over medium heat in a saute pan.
  4. Place 2 slices at a time into the pan and cook until golden-brown (~1-2 minutes per side).
  5. Whip the heavy cream together with the vanilla extract and set aside.
  6. Cover the banana slices with white sugar and "burn" the bananas with the torch until they caramelize.
  7. Serve the banana slices on top of the rum-flavored french toast, some vanilla whipped cream on the side and dust with powder sugar.



Voila!


I hope you enjoy!

Have a nice day!

Yours,

Jennoula



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...